Published November 2015
- The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced the finalized Clean Power Plan rule on August 3, 2015. The Clean Power Plan limits carbon dioxide emissions from existing power plants on a state-by-state basis under Clean Air Act 111(d).
- The final rule for states includes both a mass-based approach and a rate-based approach for states to ensure emission reductions.
- States have an interim goal for 2022-2029 and a final goal to meet by 2030.
- Arizona’s final rate-based goal is a 34% reduction from its 2005 carbon dioxide emissions level.
- The EPA is also issuing a proposed Federal Plan as both a model design for state plans and as the plan that will be used in cases where states do not submit their own plan. The proposed rule was published on October 23rd, 2015, and the public has until January 21, 2016 to provide substantive comments.