- Senior Global Futures Scientist, Julie Ann Wrigley Global Futures Laboratory
- Co-Director, Sustainable Construction, National Center of Excellence on SMART Innovations
- Associate Professor, School of Sustainable Engineering and the Built Environment, Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering
Mounir El Asmar is an Associate Professor at the School of Sustainable Engineering and the Built Environment. His research activities have focused on evaluating the performance of sustainable construction, innovative project delivery methods, and cost engineering. El Asmar’s nontraditional background in civil and environmental engineering, mechanical engineering, construction, economics, and business, provides him with an understanding of a variety of facets and metrics imperative to developing sustainable solutions for the built environment. Examples of his work include evaluating the energy and water consumption of the U.S. Navy’s LEED-certified buildings, and evaluating the performance of ASU’s LEED-certified buildings. Dr. El Asmar has presented his research in several venues, most notably at the annual Transportation Research Board meetings, the CIB International Meetings, and the Construction Research Congress. His work is published in several American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) journals and was recognized nationally through the 2010 Best Paper Award of the ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, regionally by the Wisconsin Transportation Builders Association, and internationally by the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering. El Asmar has developed courses on sustainable construction for both the University of Wisconsin-Madison and Arizona State University, where he currently teaches sustainable construction. He is also an ASCE ExCEEd Teaching Fellow and the Co-Director of Sustainable Construction with the EPA National Center of Excellence on SMART Innovations.
- PhD, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2012
- MS, Construction Engineering and Management, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2009
- BE, Mechanical Engineering, American University of Beirut, 2007
Chester, M. V., M. El Asmar, S. Hayes and C. Desha. 2021. Post-Disaster Infrastructure Delivery for Resilience. Sustainability 13(6):3458. DOI: doi.org/10.3390/su13063458. (link )