Spain/Morocco: Experience and Comparison of Healthcare Abroad

By Jacqueline Wengerd

Having lived outside of the US for the past two years, and having traveled a fair amount throughout the world, food-caused illness was my last concern when embarking upon a study abroad trip. I, however, was the ‘lucky’ student who became violently ill in a country where i had never been before. Outside of being ill, panic intensifies what the body is experiencing. It is my hope that the documentation of my experience will provide comfort to any other student who may find themselves in the same situation I was in.

After a few days of not being able to keep any food in my body, and becoming desperately weak due to lack of nutrition, I ventured into the Moroccan healthcare system along with our eager to help ISA guide, Iman. My first stop was an emergency clinic, something that we may equate to an UrgentCare type of facility in the US. Rather than waiting for hours to see a general-health doctor, the nurses at the patient reception area determined it was best for me to immediately see a specialist, a GI doctor. As most of us know, typically a patient needs insurance, a referral, and an appointment at the very least to see a specialized doctor. In Morocco though, we were simply handed an address to locate and sent on our way. Iman and I wandered the streets of Marrakech for approximately ten minutes, trying to find the GI doctors office location. Once located, I waited around 20 minutes before seeing the GI doctor. In her office, Iman translated for me the symptoms of my illness, to which the doctor immediately guided me to another room. Iman did an excellent job in calming my anxiety and translating all information and questions from the doctor. At this point in the healthcare system of the US, it would be typical to have the patient passed off to some type of nurse or medical equipment operator. Instead, during my visit, the doctor herself performed an on-the-spot ultrasound of my stomach, took my vitals, diagnosed my problem as a likely bacterial infection from ingesting uncooked fruits and vegetables.

The doctors visit and subsequent prescriptions cost approximately 550 dirhams total, and that is without presenting any type of insurance documentation. At today’s present exchange rate, this equals around $65 USD. The total time involved from leaving our hotel to returning with prescriptions in hand was just under two hours. In the US this type of visit could easily have taken double the amount of time, especially if it included a visit to an emergency facility. The cost comparison, however, is the biggest difference between the US and Moroccan healthcare system. This type of visit in the US (emergency clinic, specialized doctor, and four prescription medications) would have easily cost thousands of dollars.

Even though many students ate the same foods that I did, my body reacted in such a way that required medical attention. The healthcare system that I experienced in Morocco was extremely affordable and efficient, surpassing my western expectations of healthcare outside of the US. In addition to a brief comparison of the healthcare systems of Morocco and the US, I hope to put at ease any future study abroad students who may find themselves ill in Morocco. In Iman’s famous words to me, “you’re going to be fine”.