Where the Green Meets the Blue

Jessica Welch

Where the Green Meets the Blue

Hi everyone! I’m Jessica, and I have just finished my first year in the in the . My main interest is policy, specifically related to energy, water and food systems. I am so excited to be participating in the ! During my time abroad, I hope to see what sustainable development looks like in both of these countries and bring back some lessons to the U.S. I have studied abroad before, and I know there is a lot for the U.S. to learn from other countries and people, and vice versa. However, I think I am most excited about riding camels through the Sahara desert. I’ll let you know how I feel about it afterwards.

In preparation for my trip, I attended two events featuring . Chris has traveled the world as a photographer for and had much wisdom to impart on us. One story he told that I will never forget is about his trip to a group of islands near Australia where indigenous tribes still carry out their lives the way they have for centuries. He was walking with his guide and came upon an elderly man who asked what “valley” Chris was from. Since the man had never left the island, he assumed that Chris was from one of the distant island valleys. Chris replied that he was from a valley very, very far away. The man nodded and replied, “I know. You’re from where the green meets the blue.” The man meant that Chris was from across the ocean, but Chris (and I) took that to mean something deeper. The truth is we’re all from where the green meets the blue. We’re all on this little green and blue planet floating in space. And that, to me, is the essence of sustainability. Everything and everyone is connected, whether we realize it or not.

I can’t wait for this program to begin. I spent my last week before leaving the U.S. running around Tempe with a list of errands and last-minute things to buy. I had to find bug spray with at least 30 percent DEET and tiny travel items so that everything could fit in my backpack. I also had to draft an outline of my research for the trip. I have decided to focus on the energy policy of both countries, looking at what policies have been successful and why, as well as what hasn’t worked. I will keep you posted on what I am learning along the way!