// Pre-departure // Great Expectations

Alexandra Novak

// Pre-departure // Great Expectations

By Alexandra Novak

For those of us traveling to a country we’ve only seen photos of, there are many expectations and predetermined notions we have going into the trip. Each of us has our own vision of stepping into a new country for the first time, and ideas of what activities we will do there. I had some of my program peers express these expectations on a sign that says, “While in Hong Kong, I am going to…” with a fill-in-the-blank at the end. While there was a trend of food-related activities discussed (as you would expect for a well-known seafood hub and Asian culture in general), it seems like everyone is motivated to embrace the change of environment and do something different.

Personally, I am expecting a few very specific things and leaving the rest a mystery until I arrive. From what I know so far, I am excited about:

• the highly efficient and widely used public transit
  • the huge skyscrapers
  • the beautiful harbor and country parks
  • shopping for clothes the U.S. has probably never seen
  • seeing friends who live in Hong Kong

There are also a few things I am slightly hesitant about, particularly food, because I do not eat meat or seafood. Luckily, I think there will be many food options within walking distance of our residence. My other two weaknesses will be tested by the boat ride to Lamma Island, and the tram ride up to Victoria Peak. Water and heights are not my specialty, but for these incredibly unique experiences, I’m going to put mind over matter.

I still have much research to do before departure, not only for packing tips, but also to prepare for the cultural and governmental differences that exist in Hong Kong. I still hope to maintain some mystery in my expectations of the trip, which shouldn’t be too hard, considering I’ve never imagined I would go to Asia!