An epic learning curve

Taylor Reimann

An epic learning curve

By Taylor Reimann

We are approaching the end of the course and I can’t even believe it! We have managed to fit an entire semester of work into two weeks, and it has been rigorous. I have been impressed by the structure of the course and how it has managed to facilitate a lot of critical thinking, meaningful discussions, and deeper understanding of the complexity of sustainability issues in a political context. I now have a grasp on why federal and local governments require so much time and energy to pass legislation- it’s so difficult! By no means do I consider myself an expert in sustainable policy after this course, but it has certainly changed the way I frame and address sustainable issues and their solutions.

My focus area for this trip has been landfill waste in Hong Kong. We were tasked with researching the current problem with waste in the city, and creating a solution based policy proposal for it. My group has been incredible, every member has contributed in their own way, and we get along very well. One of the biggest struggles I have had is the language barrier between the ASU students and the Hong Kong students. While the Hong Kong students do speak English fluently, we are finding that some words and phrases don’t translate well; therefore there has been a good amount of misunderstanding between the group in regards to formatting and presenting information. The other challenge that myself as well as many ASU students have faced is becoming familiar with the way their government works. The issues we are facing here and the policies that we are attempting to propose are hinged on the behavior of the governments. What is their degree of involvement? Are they interested in the issue? How do we present our proposal in a way that will be well received? Approaching all of these questions requires an understanding of governmental attitudes and the political climate. Learning that, coupled with learning about our respective issue areas, and crafting a policy proposal in just two weeks has been a sheer test of ambition, willpower and patience. Not to mention all of the issues with adapting to a new climate and diet!

Even though I have been fiercely challenged in the course and have been missing home dearly, I don’t regret a single thing about this trip. I have had a wonderful time experiencing a new culture, learning about another country, making friends and becoming a better student. I look forward to returning to the states, but I will miss Hong Kong as well. I’m excited to take this knowledge home with me and have a giant hamburger!