An Early Arrival

jaishri-sririvasan

An Early Arrival

By Jaishri Srinivasan

Long haul flights are my specialty; I have been crisscrossing the world since I was a teenager. I am heading there earlier than the rest of the cohort. The draw for me is the Gnaoua World Music Festival that is happening in Essaouira, Morocco. Wikipedia sources reveal the Gnawa/Gnaoua as a mystical sect of musicians and the World Music Festival is a meeting of the minds, arts and talent and most of all – spirit – between foreign artists and the Gnaoua musicians.

I listened to a few promo videos on youtube and the explosion of novel and fusion music was astounding. I am now hankering for the live experience. Half a million people ostensibly flock there every year to absorb this exotic and enchanting experience.

As far as music festivals go, this exotic Afro-Mediterranean sensory cornucopia has been a promotion of the Moroccan government since the late ’90s. The aim was to ensure sustainability of local Gnaoua culture and expression. So far it has been a smashing success, if promos are to be believed. More from the front coming soon!