A Culture, Different and the Same.

isaac-bernal

A Culture, Different and the Same.

By Isaac Bernal

There are so many aspects of being in a new country that are absolutely fascinating. Studying in Hong Kong, I’m reminded of many things from back home that are both different and the same. For instance, we recently learned about the Chinese White Dolphin here. Although many people in Hong Kong have not actually seen or gone on tours to view the creatures in their natural habitat, the people still are passionate about protecting the dolphin. In many ways this is the same mentality that many Americans have about the Bald Eagle. It is a symbol for our land and country and one with which we have a sense of attachment.

Hong Kong_IB in front of Buddhist StatueLittle things like that pride shows just how much alike we are as people. That is one of the amazing parts about traveling abroad. Although we might be separated by thousands of miles, you can always find some similarity. What has made this trip even more special is the fact that all of us students from ASU get a chance to interact with local students here. The students from Hong Kong have proven invaluable at teaching us more about the local culture than we might have otherwise. There is only so much you can gleam from guide books and organized trips. It’s the local knowledge that really elevates the whole experience of being abroad.

Hong Kong_Buddhist TempleHowever there is also a great deal that is different. For instance, one of the major religions in the region is Buddhism. As such, I have gotten a chance to see how Buddhist celebrate and worship in their own way. I was privileged enough to go to a Buddhist temple recently. You can see a picture of the temple, which differs greatly from the Judeo-Christian churches that are all over the United States.

I didn’t just come to Hong Kong for vacation. I am also here to continue to learn about the complex topic of sustainability. The class I am taking here has offered my cohort the unique chance to glimpse into the complicated issues that affect Hong Kong.

wetlands- Hong KongWe recently visited the wetlands in the northern region of Hong Kong. It was an interesting juxtaposition because right in the skyline you could see a developed Hong Kong. The government here has set aside 40% of their land for country parks. Having such a high percentage of land set aside creates unique problems for a region that already has a short supply of land. The designers and professors of this program have done an excellent job of exposing us to many facets of the sustainability problems. And through exploring those problems, we have been engaging and debating various policy solutions.

There is much to be said about the similarities and differences that I have experienced thus far in the week that I have been in Hong Kong. And with that, I am even more excited for what I will continue to learn and discover this next week. Quite literally, there is something new around each corner that I can learn about and experience for the first time.