Full of Knowledge…and Food

gracie-strasser

Full of Knowledge…and Food

By Gracie Strasser

Since the beginning of our study abroad trip, we have been going nonstop. The first few days were filled with a few tourist-type activities. On the first day, we went on a food tour of Torvehallerne, a large food market in the city center. I tasted the best foods of Copenhagen all in two hours! I left very full of knowledge…and food. Every day we have been walking a ton – up to nine miles a day. My feet hurt but for good reasons. After becoming more familiar with the city, I have been able to do some exploring on my own. My friends and I have found cool little spots to swim in the canal, good restaurants, and most importantly, amazing gardens!

Gracie Strasser_Copenhagen community garden
Because we are looking at urban agriculture and how it relates to human well-being, we have been touring a lot of different gardening spaces. We have met some amazing people that have given us a lot of data to work with to help better understand how city farming is providing food for citizens. We also had the opportunity to meet with Gehl Architects, an architecture firm that focuses more on urban planning for the people, making spaces that will enhance human well-being. Learning more about Denmark’s history and how they have come to be such experts in this area was fascinating to me, especially because I am studying design.

I am having a truly amazing time in Copenhagen. It is hard to take it all in really. I am so grateful that I am getting to experience different cultures, and for such a long time too. I think that my whole research group is really growing together and we are becoming one big family which is really important to me. I can tell that I will stay friends with these people for a long time.

Gracie Strasser_Copenhagen food marketThat’s all for now! Tonight we are going to Tivoli, a theme park here in the city center. I cannot wait!