Pre-Departure Thoughts

alexander-davis

Pre-Departure Thoughts

By Alex Davis

“Look again at that dot. That’s here. That’s home. That’s us. A mote of dust suspended on a sunbeam.” -Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

Ever since an introductory biology class in high school, I have been fascinated by our little blue planet, its life and the natural systems that govern it. While it may only be a “mote of dust suspended on a sunbeam,” it’s the only home we have and is worth our investment in protecting. This led me to pursue a certificate in ecological literacy my first two years of community college and a minor in sustainability while pursuing my bachelor’s degree in supply chain management at Arizona State University. My academic experiences have opened my eyes to the beauty and intelligence of nature as well as our current, unsustainable relationship with it.

While I am now (unofficially) graduated, I’m confident I will continue to seek out knowledge about ecosystem interactions, environmentally conscious business models, resilient cultures and cities, sustainable technologies, sustainable food systems and sustainable economies through any means possible. And in less than two weeks, I’ll be fortunate enough to further advance my knowledge of urban agriculture on the aptly named “Building Community Resilience through Sustainability Planning in the UK and Denmark” study abroad trip.

For those unfamiliar, the 43 day research-based trip will be led by Dr. Jenny Hodbod (Walton Postdoctoral Research Fellow) and Dr. Scott Cloutier (Assistant Research Professor). With backgrounds in sustainable food systems and community and urban planning respectively, the two have designed a comprehensive survey aimed at identifying the link between urban gardening and community wellbeing. It’s up to me and the 19 other student researchers along for the trip to interview local residents of Copenhagen, Aarhus, Exeter, Bristol and London to learn what makes urban agriculture so successful. And I can’t wait!

I have nothing but eagerness and excitement for this summer experience. Honestly, I don’t think I could have designed a study abroad opportunity better suited to my interests. Hey Alex, want to return to Europe but visit cities and countries you haven’t been to yet? Of course! How about getting firsthand experience learning a thing or two about a subject you’re passionate about? Yup, works for me! What do you say we help further the world’s knowledge through a use-inspired research project while we’re there? Sign me up!

Typically I’m a go with the flow kind of guy who doesn’t get overly excited about too many things, good or bad. Yet for some reason I am looking forward to this trip more than I looked forward to graduation! If I had to guess, I’d say it’s in part because of the pre-departure course. Each Monday this past semester, our travel group met with the directors to get to know each other, learn about the cities we’ll be visiting, practice the surveys, engage in mindfulness exercises and work out details of the trip. Being well prepared helped eliminate any reservations I may have had and I think getting to know each student beforehand will make any culture shock or transition period a lot easier.

There are so many new sights, smells and sounds ahead but I think what I’m most looking forward to are the tastes. Danish food has a rich history of using fresh, local ingredients and has a sort of Middle Ages flair about it. Liverpaste is a go-to spread, potato dishes abound and cod and other seafood can be found everywhere. Traveling Denmark and the UK through food will add another layer of experience to the trip, so I’m challenging myself now to try as many different meals as I can. Stay tuned for an absurd amount of Instagram-esque food pictures.

As of this post, there are less than two weeks until I embark on one of my longest adventures to date. Less than two weeks until I get to experience new food, new cultures, new people and new ideas. I hope you’ll join me as I explore the happiest country on Earth: Denmark.