The Beauty of Nepal

madeline-mahnick

The Beauty of Nepal

By Madeline Mahnick

In this post I’d like to share the beauty of the people, culture and land that I s Nepal. By now our team has spent a couple weeks in Nepal and personally, I’m starting to get very used to being here. I’m now accustomed to greeting anyone I pass by in a village with a friendly “Namaste.” The heat and humidity has become bearable. I don’t even want to think about only having a week left in this beautiful country.

Only two weeks here and I can easily say the Nepali people are some of the most welcoming, hospitable and innovative people I have ever met. With every person I’ve had the chance to meet, the welcome ng is so warm. Whether it’s a line of ladies waiting at the front of the village to bless you with a flower and tika. Or the countless people who have brought us tea while we sat and talked. Or the man who opened a hotel after the earthquake to give relief workers a place to stay. Or a new friend who left a life and family of money to serve his country. Or the several students that have told me that after the earthquake one of their biggest worries was when they would get back to school and start learning again. The friendliness of the Nepali culture is contagious.

It’s even more humbling to know that many of the people I’ve met, talked to or just said “Namaste” to while passing along their village road may be living with a tin roof over their head in a makeshift shack the size of my bedroom at home. Maybe their home was destroyed in the earthquake or maybe this has always been home. But I am in such awe of the low value of material objects and the high value for relationships, tradition and culture. Physically some of the people I’ve met here may not have much but they have some of the most open and loving hearts that I have ever met and I believe that represents how rich the Nepal culture is.