Expect the Unexpected

lindsay-zapata

Expect the Unexpected

By Lindsay Zapata

My senses had never felt a high like this. I heard car horns buzzing, watched eddies of people converging with the flow of traffic, smelled a faint haze of pollution hanging in the air – all while being jolted around in a taxi on a road without rules. My first impression of Kathmandu was almost as overwhelmingly crazy as I had expected in the best way possible. Upon first setting foot on the street, you can’t help but become one with the wild crowds and keep yourself from greeting every friendly face with a warm “Namaste.”

Nepal_Lindsay Z_1
I had only a few moments to take in the colors of the city before my trip began to take an unexpected – and unfortunate – beginning. Over the course of my journey to Tribhuvan International Airport, I had picked up a considerably serious staph infection under my left arm. Immediately after my arrival I was rushed to the CIWEC Medical Clinic to get it checked by a Nepali doctor. To my shock, he had informed me the next day that it was indeed infected with MRSA – a difficult-to-treat bacteria that is resistant to most antibiotics. I couldn’t believe it! Barely being able to process the rocky state of my health, I was checked into my own room and began receiving antibiotic treatment through IV. For the next six days I would receive two daily doses of medicine while having a series of blood tests taken in between. It is definitely safe to say that my fear of needles has been successfully confronted.

Nepal_Lindsay in hospitalAlthough the first few days struck me with a lot of grief from missing out on the first week of my study abroad adventure, by my last day in the clinic I was able to critically reflect on my experience. I mean – I had triumphantly overcome one of my biggest anxieties – being stuck in a hospital thousands of miles away from my home and family. Despite getting caught in such an unlucky experience, it was something that I was very proud of myself for overcoming. I pushed past my initial shock and misery and resisted the urge to catch the next flight back to the safety of my home. After all, this program was to study resiliency, and what better way to learn about resiliency than overcoming your own obstacles first?

I will say, when our professor Dr. Chhetri said to “expect the unexpected,” I wasn’t expecting to learn this lesson at this magnitude. But I guess that was the point! As soon as my doctor signed off on my release my eagerness to explore and ask questions about this new world had been restored. I was ready to finally start learning about sustainability in Nepal!

I want to take this opportunity to extend an immense thank you to all the wonderfully supportive people who helped me get through this first week. To our program directors, Cathy Clifton and Nalini Chhetri – thank you for constantly arranging and rearranging accommodations for me as my release day kept getting pushed back. Cathy, thank you so much for the meals that saved me from the hospital food and the time you spent keeping me busy with lots of fun activities! Also, a huge thank you to the extraordinary CIWEC Clinic doctors and nurses who were efficient with getting me healthy and out of the hospital as fast as they could.

I am immensely grateful for the medical access and care I was provided to push me to my next adventure in Nepal.
Nepal_Lindsay Z_2