Start Your Engines

eric-rodriguez

Start Your Engines

By Eric Rodriguez

I got to Hong Kong a few days early to do a little exploring on my own. Knowing that we’d be spending the majority of our time in Kowloon, I used my “pre-arrival” time to explore Hong Kong Island, on the other side of Victoria Harbour. I also used this time to familiarize myself with the MTR rail system, which would be our primary mode of transportation. I took in views of the Bank of China Building and Two IFC Centre. Note to self to re-watch “The Dark Knight” when I return to The States now that I’ve seen some of the buildings featured in the film.

Hong Kong_Eric Rodriguez 2
I also paid visits to St. John’s Cathedral and Man Mo Temple which was a recommended visit. St. John’s was relatively small but impressive nonetheless. Not exactly St. Paul’s but still beautiful inside. Man Mo Temple was also on the smaller side, but also ornate, with incense burning everywhere. So far I’ve been surprised to find few “ancient” sites to visit. I’m sure I’ll find something at some point.

Hong Kong_Ferry Ride
After Man Mo Temple the heat and humidity got the best of me and it was time to return to my hotel in Kowloon. A quick dip in the pool and a brief nap brought my second wind. The evening found me on the Star Ferry back to Hong Kong Island for dinner. Taking the Star Ferry across The Harbour is a “must do” when visiting Hong Kong, especially at night. The view of Hong Kong Island coming from Kowloon is indeed breathtaking. I don’t know that I’d ever grow tired of it.

The highlight of my evening was accidentally crashing a private party that was showcasing new work by calligrapher Alan Chan. Immediately upon entering 65 Peel, which is renowned for its craft beer selection, I was handed a beer. EXCEPTIONAL service, I thought. There were several calligraphy displays throughout the restaurant, which I attributed to the support of local artists. Then I noticed that most of the patrons were huddled in groups around the restaurant. There was also a photographer snapping photos. When a server offered me hors d’oeuvres, I KNEW I was not supposed to be there. After discreetly confirming with staff that I was, indeed, at a private function, I apologized for intruding and asked to pay for what I consumed. Surprisingly I was invited to stay, which I gladly and graciously accepted. I spent the remainder of the evening exploring SoHo and other neighborhoods on The Island. Great place for nightlife.

Hong Kong_Kowloon
On Friday I made my way to City University and checked into my spartan room on campus. After getting settled in, I took in an early dinner with fellow ASU students at Festival Walk Mall. Yesterday, we did the infamous Lamma Island hike. Professor Melnick made it clear during our pre-departure briefings that this would be a grueling two mile hike from one side of the island to another. One of the purposes of the excursion was to show us what Hong Kong was like not too long ago. Making our way through the small villages on Lamma, it was very hard to envision that this was Hong Kong not too long ago.

Professor Melnick did not exaggerate the intensity of the hike. We had the advantage of a paved trail the entire way, but the heat and humidity were definitely a challenge. The entire island was lush and green, and as we made our ascent, we were rewarded with scenic vistas of the sea below. There were also constant, less-than-subtle reminders of why we were studying in Hong Kong: The waters of Lo Shing Beach were full of trash and debris; The ever-visible smoke stacks of Lamma Power Station likewise provided a sobering contradiction to the lush green landscape that we were navigating.

Hong Kong_Kowloon 2
We got to the other side of the island a few hours later. Our efforts were rewarded with a spectacular seaside feast of fresh seafood. A little broken and a few pounds of water weight lighter, we took the opportunity to relax and celebrate our success. Although the experience was challenging, it was a great way to start our program and get to know each other a little better.

Today was our first official day. It’s about a 10 minute walk down the hill to get to class. It’s a bit confusing since we have to walk through two other buildings and take a series of elevators and escalators to get to our classroom. I’m going to leave 20 minutes early to give myself time to get lost. Professors Melnick and Shi gave lectures on Hong Kong’s sustainability challenges and Professor Robert Gibson provided some historical framework. A lot to ponder but I think I have a better idea now of where Hong Kong came from, and where it’s headed. We also got to meet our classmates from City University.

This afternoon we headed up to Victoria Peak. The last time I visited I took the tram up. This time we went by coach – an experience I won’t soon forget. The views while going up and down the narrow, winding road were spectacular. A true study in gravity. There were times, especially going around those sharp curves, that we felt like we were suspended over the edge of the peak. I think a few of us got a little motion sick (I was not one of them!). The breathtaking view from Victoria Peak is another experience that I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of.

We’ve already seen and done so much in just a few days. Despite being here only a short time, in one way, I feel like I’ve been here for weeks. Despite our grueling hike on Saturday, the true challenge has not yet begun. Tomorrow we shift into high gear.