Ecuador: Pre-Departure Thoughts

Nich Weller

Ecuador: Pre-Departure Thoughts

By Nich Weller

Well the big adventure that is our study abroad trip to Ecuador is about to begin! Travelling is always exciting, particularly in the days before departure, but this trip is unique. As with any trip, I am excited to see new parts of the world. But unlike my other travels, I will have the opportunity to meet, talk to, and learn from people who live, work, and study in Ecuador. Reading up on international issues is always time well spent but nothing can truly replace an experience with those who actually live in the countries we read about. Moving beyond sight seeing to learn about local sustainability problems, solutions, and developments will be a welcome and exciting change!

In previous travels, I’ve always enjoyed meeting new people and I’m excited to do so on this trip. All of us students have met a few times before the trip but spending an hour in a classroom is very different from spending three weeks in constant contact in an unfamiliar environment. After hearing about everyone’s research projects a few months back, I’m very excited to see everyone’s new ideas and watch the projects unfold over the next three weeks.

As a new sustainability graduate student, I am very much looking forward to studying in Ecuador. The country exemplifies the complexities of sustainability problems. Diverse ecosystems, numerous indigenous communities, the expansion of urban areas, and economic development add incredible complexity and difficulty to solving sustainability problems in Ecuador. I am very interested in urban sustainability and I am thoroughly looking forward to hearing about Ecuadorian cities’ approaches to solve urban sustainability problems.

While I have travelled internationally before, no trip is without its stresses. I’ve probably packed and unpacked my bag 5 times over the last few days and I’m still worried I’ve left something out (not to mention the difficulty of planning for cold, wet weather when it has been 110 degrees in Tempe!). That said it’s quite comforting to know that numerous other students will be along for every step of the journey!

Check back soon for posts about our arrival, some pictures, and numerous other updates!